Graduated in Lilly

If you thought that December could get any more exciting, what with turning 21 and it being Christmas, we all thought wrong. To add to the excitement of this month, last Thursday I graduated from the University of Melbourne! The past three years have been such a journey, I can't believe it is all over. If you wanted to hear my thoughts on finishing my degree, you can read my blog post reflecting on my Uni experience here. What I am excited to share with you all today is the outfit I wore to my graduation ceremony!



Wearing a Lilly Pulitzer dress to graduation. It's not really the most original of outfits for the "preppy" loving gal. Considering the brand is not that well known in Australia though, I think we can scrape together a couple of points for originality. 

I knew that I wanted to wear a white dress to the graduation ceremony. Graduation robes can come in all sorts of crazy colour combinations, so going with simple white can guarantee to coordinate. Luckily for me, the Arts degree at Melbourne Uni had a royal blue hood to go with the black robe.  This Sofia Lace shift dress I picked up from the After Party Sale was perfect! In classic Lilly fashion, the cut of the dress is so classic that you could hardly go wrong with it. However, what I love most about this dress is the fun details provided by the lace yolk and signature front panel, paired with the dot jacquard material of the body. The white provided a stable base when paired with my robe and hood. But after the ceremony, when I took the gown off, these details instantly became noticeable and turned the outfit into something fun!

Every time I brought up graduation with people I was talking to, without fail they advised me to be careful about what shoes I wear. Too many times have others seen girls struggling to walk across the stage in their heels! However, I like to think that I always know how to dress appropriately for the occasion, and knew that wedges would be perfect for a Summer graduation ceremony. These navy suede espadrille wedges from Wittner were perfect! I was so comfortable in them, and could barely tell that I was wearing heels all afternoon. 

While I was tempted to wear these fun pom pom sandals from my Shoes for Spring post, I felt that something more classic would be appropriate for graduation. What drew me to these wedges (apart from being in navy), was the addition of the cut outs and tie details on the much loved shoe silhouette.  The espadrille wedge is a staple for your shoe collection, and I could not recommend these enough! I am already planning on wearing these shoes on Christmas Day with a blue and white dress from Zara, and even with jeans and a white top for a casual look.

If you graduated recently what did you wear? I would love to hear about it! 

No comments