Welcome to The Aussie Prep

In my final years of high school, one of the teachers that understood me best declared that I will come in to my own at University. High school is not the place for me, and I will truly flourish in voluntary higher education, surrounded by like-minded people. It was only after the conclusion of my first year of Uni did I finally feel like I was coming in to my own and embracing the true "Grace". I’m not sure if it is the atmosphere of higher education, living in the city, or my Pinterest semi-obsession, but at the beginning of Summer 2014/15, I have been embracing the preppy-ness in my life. One year later, and boy oh boy, do I finally feel like I am on point. Sure, I have always been preppy. My attempts at transforming my public school uniform to look as Private Prep School (the capitalisation feels necessary) as possible did not go unnoticed by the teaching staff at my High School. This is mostly thanks to attending secondary education throughout the duration of when Gossip Girl was airing on TV (Blair Waldorf still remains as one of my style, and overall life, inspiration). 

By spending countless hours scrolling and pinning on Pinterest, and making my way through the preppy bloggers (Carly at The College Prepster and Kate at Lonestar Southern are my faves!) I fell more and more in love with the style and knew that this was who I am meant to be. I love monograms, I love button up shirts, and I love pearls.

However, one thing that should be pointed out is that a lot of the elements of the preppy style are distinctly American. I am Australian born and raised, and while I do feel like I belong on America's east coast, I am still very much Australian and I don't think I can ever let go of that. What has been the most fun with my journey is figuring out how I can fit the preppy style in the Australian lifestyle. To me, being preppy is not just in how you dress, but it is also in your personality. I embrace the preppy life and I (like to think that I) am classy. I believe in upholding the proper etiquette when acting as a member of society, but I also believe in being an individual and staying true to yourself. Being classic and classy are elements that can fit everywhere, and not just in America.

I love how I am finally growing into the person I want to be. This is the beginning of my journey, and I hope that you look forward to updates on my life in the future.




My Preppy style evolution 2015. I am excited to see where else my style takes me in the future!


Grace.

No comments